What Can a Family Lawyer Do for You?
No matter whether you are getting married and are thinking about pre-nuptial agreements, or whether you are separating and trying to figure out a parenting schedule for your children, a family lawyer can answer your questions relating to any aspect of family law.
If you are going through a divorce or separation, your life is going through enormous changes. You definitely have questions about what is going to happen, what are your legal rights and whether you have any legal obligations.
A qualified family lawyer will lend you years of experience and education and provide you with the advice you need to make informed decisions about your life.
What is family law?
Family law actually covers a broad range of legal issues including:
- Divorce for couples who are legally married.
- Child custody, access rights and parenting schedules.
- The right of a parent to move to a different city or province with the children.
- Marriage, cohabitation and prenuptial agreements.
- Division of family property upon divorce or separation of a common-law relationship.
- Tax implications involved with cohabitation or separation.
- Child support and spousal support obligations.
- Child safety issues and issues relating to child and spousal abuse.
Any one of these legal issues can be quite complex. While some laws, like the Divorce Act, apply across Canada, each province has is own laws as well. That is why it is so important to consult a local experienced family law lawyer about your case.
Why you need divorce advice.
Going through a divorce or separation can be emotionally challenging. You don’t need to go through this process alone.
Trying to deal with complex legal issues on your own can be overwhelming. With family law, the stakes are high. Imagine any of the following situations or possible outcomes to a separation. Are you willing to risk any of the following?
- Your spouse restricts the amount of time you get to spend with your children.
- Your spouse moves to another province with your children.
- You no longer have a say in where your children go to school, which activities they participate in, or which church they attend.
- Your spouse refuses to contribute financially to the care of your children or yourself.
- Your spouse has racked up significant debt since the separation and you are worried that your house will have to be sold to pay for it.
- Every time you meet your spouse to transfer the children, your spouse picks a fight and you are worried for your safety.
- Your spouse was paying child support and spousal support without complaint, but the payments stopped as soon as you met your new spouse.
- You have a written separation agreement, but now your spouse claims that the agreement is unfair and that you owe them more money.
Unfortunately, these situations happen when people try to deal with a divorce or separation without seeking professional help. If you are recently separated, consult an experienced family law lawyer to make sure that things are done right the first time and avoid many of the possible complications that can happen when spouses deal with a separation on their own.
Even if you have been separated for years, and are just now starting to experience difficulties dealing with your ex-spouse, it is never too late to get a lawyer’s help. It is not unusual for people to get along well enough when they first separate, but run into problems a few years later.
Consult the experts for reliable family law information.
The saying “you get what you pay for” definitely applies to free legal advice, and particularly to free family law advice. While this site provides you with an overview of family law, you need to consult with your own lawyer in order to obtain reliable legal advice relating to your particular situation. Use the family law information on this site to help you prepare to meet with your own lawyer.
Our lawyers bring years of legal training and experience to your situation. They also bring a level of objectivity to your case that most people going through a divorce or separation simply do not have. This objectivity can be vitally important and can potentially save you thousands of dollars.
An experienced family law lawyer will give you the advice that you need to be confident in your decisions. Working with a lawyer can enable you to get the best possible results in your situation.
Family law attorneys provide more than just expert advice.
A family law lawyer will do more for you than just provide information and advice on your legal rights and obligations. Your lawyer will:
- Help you draft an effective domestic contract (marriage contract or cohabitation agreement).
- Review any agreement that you reach with your spouse to ensure that it is fair, covers all the issues and addresses all of your rights and obligations.
- Make sure that your agreement is valid so that your spouse cannot back out of the agreement at a later date.
- Negotiate on your behalf to achieve the best possible results if you have trouble coming to an agreement with your spouse on your own.
- Advocate on your behalf and make sure that your situation is presented to the court in the best possible light, if it is necessary for you to go to court.
Your family lawyer provides invaluable support.
Remember, your family law lawyer is trained to deal with the legal implications of a divorce or separation. A separation can be emotionally devastating for you and your children. You have more important things to deal with right now than your legal problems.
Let an expert take your legal worries off your plate. Your family law attorney will provide you with all of the legal advice and skills and that you need to be assured that your rights are protected.